Committing to a greener future
Wow, you’ve done it again! Before we knew it, you planted 3 million trees, equivalent to 975K flights from Paris to New York!
Doing good and being green has always been important for us. While deforestation is an issue that we clearly addressed in the past years, more was needed to truly tackle climate change. The time has come for us to take things further, go the extra mile. We’re committing to tackle the “green fight” and set an example for fellow fintechs and traditional banks. Join us in maximizing our impact, in line with the Paris Agreement!
What’s the target?🎯
The Paris agreement is looking to ensure that the global average temperature remains well-below 2°C above pre-industrial levels, aiming to limit the temperature increase to 1.5 °C.
What does that mean for bunq?🌈
As a bank, it means making financial investments that have low greenhouse gas emissions. In short, it requires us to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by half by 2030. We’re currently at 8,100 tonnes of CO2, a fraction of the average financial institution's carbon footprint. Here’s how we’ll get it done:
- By offering you a climate neutral service, and hence be a truly climate neutral bank
- By financing projects that have a direct positive impact on the reduction of CO₂
- By constantly measuring and publishing our climate footprint here
Curious about our exact plan of action? Find all the details here.
What does that mean for you?🙌
As a bunq user, you're already well on your green journey.
- You’re using a purely digital bank, meaning no waste of paper or Uber trips needed to reach us.
- You get Freedom of Choice, so you can choose to invest your money in a sustainable way. Also, we never invest in shady industries by default.
- By simply being an Easy Green user, you plant a tree for every €100 you spend, meaning you can be CO2 neutral in less than 2 years.
- Want to plant trees, without the Easy Green plan? Invite your friends to join bunq and plant 20 trees together.
We’re committed to doing better and being greener, redefining what banking is and what it can do for our planet. Join us with every choice you make: from your next commute, to a new app you’re thinking of developing. This is one of those things we’re better at together - so let’s do it!